Coconut fruit can be put into different use and has its health benefits aswell. While one can decide to just eat it, it can also be used to prepare coconut rice and coconut oil. The coconut oil can be used for cooking and also for hair and skin care. You can get this oil from stores but sometimes, the ones sold in stores usually has chemicals in form of preservatives in them.
However, it is cheaper to make your unadulterated coconut oil at home. Moreover, it requires just a simple procedure.
Below is a simple step by step procedure on how to make the coconut oil. It is important that you use matured coconuts for this. Here we’ll use just 4 cocunuts which can give us about 50g of oil. Increase the number of coconuts depending on the amount of oil you want.
How to make coconut oil
- Peel off the flesh from the coconut shell and grate it. You can as well, cut it into small pieces and blend.
- Add a little water to the grated coconut and squeeze to get the milk from it. Ensure there are no particles when you are done.
- Set on low heat for about 2 to 3 hours. Stir from time to time so it does not get burnt.
- When the milk has turned brown and concentrated, turn off the heat and allow to cool down.
- Now place the cooled thickened milk in a muslin cloth and squeeze out the oil. Collect it in a bowl and then store it in a can or a plastic bottle.
Your coconut oil is ready to be used. Ensure to store in an airtight container. It can last up to a year.
Health Benefits of coconut oil
- Coconut oil is a good boost for cholesterol level
- Coconut oil lowers obesity level
- It is good for blood sugar and diabetes
- Coconut oil helps in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease
- Coconut oil regulates high blood pressure and stops heart related disease
- Coconut oil aids in the cure urinary tract infection and the liver
- Coconut oil boosts energy level
- Coconut oil aids in digestion
- It is good for the skin especially for the treatment of wounds, burns, and dermatitis
- Coconut oil has anti aging properties
- Coconut oil helps in weight loss