Today we will be discussing how to make fish roll from the comfort of your home.
African Fish Roll(Fish pie) is a popular West African street food, specifically in Cameroon,Nigeria and Ghana that is made with some sort of shortcut pastry filled with sardines and spices. A crunchy, slightly sweet, spicy fish roll tastes great.
Ingredients for fish roll
What are the ingredients required to make a delicious fish roll from the comfort of your home
• 1 can sardines in chili tomato sauce 15oz or 425gram
• ½ medium onion chopped
• ½ teaspoon parsley
• ¼ teaspoon curry powder Dough
• 1 cup plus 2 tablespoon water
• 1¼ teaspoon yeast
• 2 ½ tablespoons or 30grams sugar
• ½ tablespoon salt
• 4 cups or 500grams flour All Purpose Flour
• 5 oz or 142g unsalted butter margarine.
Method For Preparation
1. Place a sauce pan and drain half of the tomato sauce in the Mackerel into the sauce pan.
2. Then add the onions, curry powder and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes until almost all the liquid has evaporated , add parsley . Stir and simmer for about 2 more minutes. Set aside and let it cool.
3. Add yeast to a warm water and leave it for 5mins
4. Mix the flour, sugar,salt and then add margarine. You could use a mixer or you can mix by hand
5. Then add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix for about a minute
6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth
7. Cover and let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes.
8. Divide dough into 1 -2 ounce each- you will have about 25 -35 each depending on the weight.
9. On a lightly floured work surface, using a rolling pin, roll out the each 2 ounce dough until ½” larger in diameter.
10. Then place a teaspoon of fish mixture and roll it up. Repeat the process. Set aside the fish pie
11. Heat up a large skillet or cast iron with oil up to ½ inch- medium-high heat (375) until hot but not smoking.
12. Scoop up the batter with a spoon preferably and fry in batches, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan (it will absorb excess oil, resulting in a soggy fish pies)
13. Using a slotted spoon, remove the fish pie and place them on paper towels.
14. Serve warm or at room temperature.