The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is an electoral body established in 1998 to oversee election in Nigeria. INEC was established by General Abdulsalam Abubakar to conduct the 1999 election that ushered Nigeria into the fourth republic.
History of INEC
Before 1998, The Federal Electoral Commission (FEDECO) was established in 1960 to conduct election in Nigeria. FEDECO was dissolved after the 1966 military coup.
However, in 1978, General Olusegun Obasanjo, the then Head of State established the Federal Electoral Commission which conducted the 1979 election that ushered Shehu Shagari in as the president in the second republic. The Federal Electoral Commission conducted the 1983 election.
In 1995, General Sani Abacha established the National Electoral Commission of Nigeria(NECON). NECON conducted an election in 1995 but the death of Gen Abacha in 1998 disrupted the inauguration of the elected institutes.
INEC was established by General Abubakar in 1998.
Functions of INEC
INEC as an electoral body don’t just have to conduct elections in Nigeria. There are other functions assigned to INEC and they are
- Organise, undertake and supervise all elections to the offices of the President and Vice-President, the Governor and Deputy Governor of a State, and to the membership of the Senate, the House of Representatives and the House of Assembly of each state of the federation
- Register political parties in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution and Act of the National Assembly
- Monitor the organisation and operation of the political parties, including their finances; conventions, congresses, and party primaries.
- Arrange for the annual examination and auditing of the funds and accounts of political parties, and publish a report on such examination and audit for public information
- Arrange and conduct the registration of persons qualified to vote and prepare, maintain and revise the register of voters for the purpose of any election under this constitution
- Monitor political campaigns and provide rules and regulations which shall govern the political parties
- Conduct voter and civic education
- Promote knowledge of sound democratic election processes
- Conduct any referendum required to be conducted pursuant to the provision of the 1999 Constitution or any other law or Act of the National Assembly.
INEC Chairman till date
Summer Dagogo Jack
2015- till date