Rice is one of the staple diet in most countries. There are different ways to cook it giving it varieties ranging from jollof rice, fried rice, to coconut rice and rice and stew or sauce. However, here I’ll be giving you a simple procedure in cook coconut rice. Coconut rice is one of the delicious form of rice. It’s easy to prepare and may not cost much to prepare.
Coconut rice originated from Colombia, Venezuela and Panama but is now preparing around the world including Africa and Nigeria. Coconut rice is prepared by cooking rice with the juice of shredded coconut or cooking rice with coconut flakes. This type of dish is common in the tropical region because both rice and coconut is found mostly in those regions.
Ingredients for cooking coconut rice
- 4 cups of rice
- 2 matured sweet coconuts
- Coconut powder
- Fresh pepper (yellow or red)
- 4 balls of fresh tomatoes (blend or slice)
- Groundnut oil
- Prawns (or liver)
- Green peas, carrots, sweet corn (you can use other such veggies as well)
- 2 cubes of seasoning
Procedure for cooking Coconut rice
- Parboil your rice
- Blend coconuts to get the milk (do not add the coconut water)
- Steam your prawns with seasoning and fry a little
- Put your groundnut oil on fire (this should be little as coconut already has oil)
- Add your onions, tomatoes and pepper and fry
- Pour in your coconut water
- Add your coconut powder (This will help reduce the colouring effect of the tomatoes). Leave to boil
- Put your rice
- When the rice is almost cooked, add your sliced veggies and the fried prawns. Rice must not stay long on fire after adding the veggies.
Serve with Chicken or beef.
I hope you find this helpful.