Biography of Seyi Makinde, Career and personal life
Biography of Seyi Makinde
Oluwaseyi Abiodun Makinde is a Nigerian politician, business man, an engineer, a philanthropist and a subject matter expert on fluid and gas metering. He is the current governor of Oyo State. Seyi Makinde was born on December 25, 1967 in Ibadan, Oyo state. His father Olatubosun Makinde was a renowned teacher while his mother Madam Abigail Makinde is of Aigbofa Compound in Oja’ba, Ibadan, Oyo state.
Seyi Makinde began school at St Paul’s Primary School but completed his primary education at St Michaels Primary School, Yemeni, Ibadan. He proceeded for his secondary school education at Bishop Phillips Academy, Monatan, Ibadan where he obtained his Senior Secondary School Certificate.
In 1985, Makinde proceeded to study Electrical Engineering at the University of Lagos (UNILAG). In 1998, Makinde trained on Safety Shutdown System; and Development of Analytical Competence for Managing Operations at Lagos Business School (now Pan-Atlantic University) at the Industrial Control Services Houston, Texas, USA.
In the year 2000, Makinde trained on automation. In 2002, he proceeded to Jiskoot Auto Control Training Centre, Kent, England where he studied the Fundamentals of Crude Sampling. In 2005 he proceeded to Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA where he studied Understanding and Solving Complex Business Problems.
Career and Businesses
After graduating from school Seyi Makinde proceeded for his compulsory National Youth Service Corps (NYSC). Makinde served with Shell Petroleum Development Company(SPDC) of Nigeria. He was later engaged as a primary engineer till 1992. Makinde worked as field Engineer for Rebold International Limited. In 1995, he was appointed field manager.
In 1997, Makinde moved to establish his own business Makon Engineering and Technical Services (METS) and later Makon Group of Companies. Makinde remained the Chief Executive Officer(CEO) Makon Group of Companies till August 2018.
Seyi Makinde is worth N48billion as at 2019
Makinde’s political ambitions started in 2007, when he ran to represent Oyo South in the senate under the platform of All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) but lost to Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate Kamoru Adedibu. In 2011, Makinde aspired to become a Senator under the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) but lost in the primaries to the incumbent Senator Kamoru Adedibu.
In 2015, Makinde aspired to become the Governor of Oyo State under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) but lost in the primaries. Makinde defected to Social Democratic Party (SDP) but lost in the general election.
In September 2017, Makinde defected to PDP after the Caretaker National Chairman Ahmed Makarfi visited him in his Ibadan residence. In September 2018, Makinde won the PDP primaries to run for Oyo state Governor in the 2019 general election.
In 2019, Makinde polled 515, 621 votes to beat his closest rival, Mr Adebayo Adelabu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) who polled 357,982 votes. Makinde was declared winner of the Oyo state Governorship election.
Awards and recognitions
Makinde has won series of awards and is a member of various professional bodies.
• Nigerian Union of Journalists (Oyo State Council)- Laudable Contribution to Humanity Merit Award.
• National Association of Oke-Ogun Students (Ibadan)- Merit Award.
• Fiditi Grammar School (Oyo State)- Old Student Merit Award in appreciation to the commitment, dedication and service to the association and humanity.
• Junior Chamber International (JCI) University of Calabar Chapter- Entrepreneurial Excellence Award.
• Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (Oyo State Chapter)- Gold Merit Award for immense and invaluable contribution to sports development.
• Nigerian Association of Social Workers Merit Awards (Oyo State Chapter)-Philanthropic gestures and contribution to Social Care Delivery Services.
• CCII National Merit Award.
• Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (Ibadan)- awarded Seyi “Astute Politician of the Year 2018” for his resilience with which he had continued to assist the less privileged in the society.
Seyi Makinde is a member of
• Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE)
• Council for Regulations of Engineering in Nigeria(COREN)
• Oil and Gas Design Engineers of Nigeria (OGDEN)
• International Society of Automation (ISA)
• Institute of Measurement and Control UK
• American Measurement Institute (AMI).
Seyi Makinde is married to Dr. Tamunominini Esther Makinde and together they have three Children