Carrot oil is an extract of essential oil from carrot seed. Carrot oil has a woody, earthy sweet smell and is yellow or amber-coloured to pale orange-brown in appearance. Carrot oil have proven to be useful especially in cosmetics as it can be used for skin care.
While it is well known that carrot is used for cooking, the usefulness of carrot in other areas cannot be over emphasized. Presently, it is added to many hair and body creams. Carrots are rich in nutrients such as vitamins A, C and E, beta-carotene and other nutrients that serves as antioxidants.
The vitamins have conditioning properties that can moisturize the skin or scalp resulting to healthier skin and hair. Here you will be finding a simple procedure on making carrot oil. Although, after preparation, it takes a long time for you to make use of it, however, the results you get from using the carrot will definitely worth the wait.
- 2 organic or home grown carrot
- Olive oil (you can as well use coconut, sunflower or sesame oil)
- Veggie peeler
- Hand grater or food processor
- Crock pot (if this is not available, use a normal pot
- Strainer and cheesecloth
- A jar that can be covered tightly.
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots
- Put the grated carrots in the pot and place on a slow cooker
- Pour enough olive oil to cover the carrots
- Heat for about 24 to 72 hours. The oil will begin to turn orange as the carrot infuse into it
- When ready, place a cheesecloth in a strainer and slowly pour the content to get only the oil. (You don’t necessarily need the carrot solid)
- Turn into a jar and refrigerate for about 6 to 8 months after which you are free to use.