Godswill Obioma is a Nigerian professor creative researcher, scholar and the Registrar of the National Examination Council(NECO). He was born 12th December 1953. He hails from Bende Local Government Area of Abia State.
Prof Obioma was Ebonyi State Resident Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission and Head, Department of Science, Mathematics and Technology, University of Jos.
In 1975, Obioma obtained a National Certificate Education (NCE) from the Alvan Ikoku College of Education Owerri.
In 1979, he graduated with a B.Sc in Mathematics from the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN).
He obtained his masters degree in educational measurement and evaluation in 1982 and doctorate degree in the same field from the University of Nigeria Nsukka in 1985.
In 1991, Obioma was appointed Professor of Mathematics Education and Evaluation at the age of 36.
Professor Godswill Obioma has worked as a lecturer in various universities including the University of Nigeria Nsukka and University of Jos. He was the Head of Department, Mathematics in University of Jos.
In 1979, Obioma was employed as a research fellow at the University of Nigeria Nsukka.
In 1988 he was employed as the head of research at the University of Jos and later as a Senior Research fellow
Professor Obioma has served in different capacities in the Nigerian public service. Some of his appointments include
- Special Assistant on Policy Monitoring and Evaluation to the Military Administrator of Abia state (1994)
- Director, Monitoring and Evaluation, National Primary Education Commission (1994- 1999)
- Director, Monitoring, Research an Statistics, National Business and Technical Examination Board (2001-2003)
- Special Assistant , Programmes and Policy to the Honourable Minister of Education (2003-2005).
- Director Monitoring and Evaluation Universal Basic Education Programme.
- Resident Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Ebonyi State.
Appointment as NECO Chairman
On 22nd May 2020, President Buhari approved the appointment of Professor Godswill Obioma as the Registrar/Chief Executive of the National Examinations Council.
His appointment according to a letter signed by the minister for Education Adamu Adamu took effect from 14th May 2020
Awards and Recognitions
Obioma is an intellect and a serial price winner. His awards and recognitions include;
- Best Graduating student at the Alvan Ikoku College of Education Owerri in 1975
- Best Graduating student Department of Mathematics University of Nigeria Nsukka in 1979
Professor Obioma is a Fellow of the
- Premier Vice -Chancellor’s Academic Award for Bes t Graduating Doctoral Student in UNN in 1979
- Mathematical Association of Nigeria, Curriculum Organization of Nigeria
- Science Teachers’ Association of Nigeria (STAN)
- Nigerian Academy of Education
- Institute of Industrial Corporate Administration
- International Professional Managers’ Association in London
Professor Obioma is married with children. His hobbies include playing lawn tennis, writing and reading poetry and listening to Gospel music
The above information is sourced from various websites/media reports. The website does not guarantee a 100 per cent accuracy of the figures